Things one must do in College

Hey There!

For me college-life was a breeze; a super relaxed schedule, hanging out with my friends and not having a care in the world. Then came the strong wind, which was preparing for the Indian Civil Services. And finally the full-blown hurricane, when I decided to drop the civils-prep (You can read more about my feelings on that in ‘How we started Blogging'). After that I had no idea whatsoever about my future, it was like starting from scratch. I was filled with regret about all the things I should have done back in college. But now that life is back on track, I decided to write about the things I wish I had done then, hoping to help some college students out there!

  1. Internships: One practical lesson is worth ten theoretical ones. Even if you can squeeze in one internship per year it makes a HUGE difference. If only I knew the importance of internships during my college days, life would be so much easier now. I suggest you pick up internships from your field but these don’t necessarily have to be related to the subject you are pursuing a degree in. If something else interests you, this is the right time to see if you can make a career out of it. I have had a great experience with Internshala.You have to explore to find out what you do the best (Believe me when I say this, doing so will reduce a lot of stress when in the future you are having a bad day at work and are questioning ALL of your choices).
  2. Trips with your squad: I cannot stress this enough : You must take at least one trip each year with your friends. Trust me, the entire process of begging for permission from your parents, emotionally blackmailing your friends into agreeing to join in, all the planning re-planning and re-re planning, everything up till the day you leave and the actual duration of the trip, is nothing but a golden time. I only managed to take one vacation with my gang , even so, I can say that those were truly the best days of my life. 
  3. College Events: College Fest, Department Fest, Conferences, College society functions; just pick any event and participate. Not just for the sake of a certificate, but for real experience. Shirk the laziness, shed away all your inhibitions, and be active! You have no idea how much you can learn and connect by organizing such events.
  4. Freshers/Farewell: Get on the stage and grab that mike! Participate in the performing-arts part of these functions along with your friends. Not only will the final performance be a memory to cherish forever, but even the prep days leading up to it will be unforgettable. 
  5. Language: Sign up to learn a new one!. Learning a new language opens up the gates to understanding a different culture and meeting new people. If you actively search for opportunities, who knows, you may even come across a great cultural exchange programme ! It’ll be another notch on your belt. 
  6. College fests :I am a DU alumnus and I have to say that the College-Fest season is the best time to be in campus. The place just comes alive (more than usual) ,electrified and buzzing with excitement. I managed to attend a few fests during my time as a student there, but I regret not going to every college on campus to experience more. 

  7. Hobby: Singing, writing ,poetry, pottery, theater: Whatever makes your soul sing. This is the time to engage with your hobby and hone your skills. Take part in some competitions or pick up random gigs. It is going to be so much fun!
  8. Networking: Don’t be that person who stays with his/her group of 3-4 friends throughout the college life and does not talk to anyone else. Expand your circle of contacts. Make an effort to get to know what your peers are doing, their plans for the future or even something as basic as their favorite eating joints in and around college. Get in touch with your seniors and juniors. Just engage with more people! 

In short, while in college, be the busiest person ever! Fill your calendar with a bunch of different activities. This is the only time when you can focus completely on yourself- your hobbies, your interests , your career, just YOU without any stress/obligations/expectations whatsoever. 
Make the most of it! Find yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts